[Sca-cooks] deer and turkeys

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Tue Apr 19 17:03:44 PDT 2005

This is why some suburbs in the Atlanta area are allowing the harvest of
deer by bowhunters who have been through a careful training and
certification procedure.

The biggest problem with a properly trained bowhunter reducing the
population of deer in a neighborhood isn't the danger to humans or
animals other than deer.  It's the danger to the sensibilities of people
who get squeamish at the sight of a hunter properly field dressing the kill.

The rules established for these specially-licensed hunters are very
strict.  They include a TON of safety-related, as well as a ton of
public relations rules.  Things such as "leave no gut-piles" etc.

Any competent hunter safety course (required for all hunters under the
age of 60 in Georgia) will establish one of the most important rules of
gun safety:  Always be sure of what is BEHIND your target, making sure
it will not cause your bullet to ricochet.

In other words, if you're aiming at an animal and you might miss and hit
a body of water, or rocks, don't shoot.

Hunting with firearms in a suburb isn't a smart thing.  Carefully
controlled hunting by people willing to go through extensive
qualifications, etc. is a very effective way of controlling a burgeoning
deer population.

--Cian