[Sca-cooks] Re: Re: grapes for verjuice

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Apr 21 18:00:00 PDT 2005

At 17:09 -0700 2005-04-21, she not wrote:

>  What little I know about  viniculture includes thinning for max
> production of many varieties..I believe verjuice was made from
> those cullings, from grapes still unripe at harvest, and from
> grapes hit by early frost (unless they were ripe enough for ice
> wine, which is delicious, btw.)

There were in period, and are today, many vinyards that devote specific
areas and varieties of grapes destined to become verjuice.

The grapes are deliberately picked unripe, and turned into verjuice.

Verjuice is made deliberately and (in period) in large quantities, not
as a way of getting rid of otherwise useless grapes (though doubtless
small quantities were made from such material).

Thorvald