[Sca-cooks] RE: Cannibalism , ritualistic or otherwise

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 21 18:43:17 PDT 2005

Ana wrote:
> Ana
> PS: And the Eucharisty is a good example or ritual cannibalism.

to which Huette responded quite strongly:
>I am sorry, but you are very, very, very WRONG!!!! The Eucharist is NOT
ritual cannibalism!!!
>Huette

	Well, I had to think long and hard about responding to this one.  I take it
from Huette's response that she is a Christian of strong belief.  I
generally shy away from getting into religious conversations because that
way lies madness (and usually hurt feelings).  My initial reaction was "but
it is", and then thought that if that was all I said it would be fanning
those flames and it would turn into a shouting match really quickly.  I had
to stop and consider if it was really food related, and I think it is.  That
original communion took place at a supper, where there was actual food
present, or at least that is the accepted story now.  Having studied a bit
about religious origins and knowing how things get changed around, I suspect
there are many other interpretations of what actually happened.  I suspect
the symbology goes back to the examples Phlip stated and the ideals of
passing strength (and holiness) along with the consumption of various
aspects of the godhead.  This certainly seems to be what is happening in the
modern celebration of communion.  However, if the arugment is that this
ceremony is not ritual cannibalism, then there is some other reason for
taking in wine and bread and considering it a holy act.  The holiness is
passed along into the act of sharing the food.
	So, I am interested in hearing thoughts on the original event, the
symbology behind it, how the idea of breaking bread at a communal table fits
into it, and other food-related aspects of the question.  However, I do hope
that it can be kept from becoming a religious flame war, as nothing will
come of that in the furtherance of understanding eating practices and the
reasons they figure strongly into spiritual observances.   Let's keep it
civil, shall we, and try to examine this question in a way that we can all
learn something?
	Chrsitianna