[Sca-cooks] Newspaper reporter needs help with story

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 22 14:15:52 PDT 2005

1) that medieval food was inedible

Using the available recipes, properly prepared meals can be quite tasty.
The spicing may be a little strange, but it is no odder to the taste than
Thai or Indonesian cooking.

2) crude and ill-mannered behavior at the table

There are a number of contemporary texts that outline proper table etiquette
in a medieval Emily Post manner.  Cleanliness and decorum were expected in
the great hall.  And the remaining food was removed after each course by the
household almoner for distribution to the needy rather than being tossed to
the dogs as a couple of Hollywood epics have shown.

3)  the staple of medieval society was grain supplemented by a wide range
(wider than modern selection) of domestiicated and game animals and birds.
After Columbus, a number of large birds were replaced by the turkey, maize,
potatoes and sweet potaotes were added to the grain diet as were vegetables
like squash and tomatoes.  At the same time, the New World diet was altered
by the introduction of such things as wheat, rye, and rice, bananas and
sugar cane.  The Age of Exploration changed the diet of the entire world.

4) steak

The word steak derives Old Norse by way of Middle English which was in use
between 1100 and 1500.  A 15th Century recipe (Harleian MS 279) provides the
following:

To make Steyks of venson or bef. Take Venyson or Bef, & leche & gredyl it up
broun; then take Vynegre & a

litel verious, & a lytil Wyne, and put pouder perpir ther-on y-now, and
pouder Gyngere; and atte the dressoure

straw on pouder Canelle y-now, that the steyks be al y-helid ther-wyth, and
but a litel Sawce; & then serue it

forth.

In other words, grease it, grill it, and and serve it with a sprinkle of
cinnamon and a thin sauce made of vinegar, verjuice, wine, pepper, and
ginger.

Bear