Bread was: Re: [Sca-cooks] RE: Cannibalism , ritualistic or otherwise

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 22 17:11:45 PDT 2005

Phlip wrote:

> I think, for them, this was deeply important, even more important than
> forthose of us today who believe the wine and bread is transformed
> into God's flesh and blood. I think bread and wine were far more
> symbolic to them oftheir bond with God, simply because bread and wine
> were considered the necessities for a civilized person to eat, at
> least among the Mediterraneanpeoples who were responsible for the
> development of the early Catholic Church. I know it's difficult for us
> to believe, in the days of Wonderbread

Very true!  My mother was very religious old world (and remained VERY
old world after they moved here too!), and whenever she baked bread at
home she would make the sign on the cross on each loaf before putting
them in the oven.  When I asked her why, she said: "Whaddaya mean why!?
Bread is a gift from God!"

Then there was also the annual festival of St Martin for the wine... mmm
... wine ...

Faerisa