[Sca-cooks] Re: Re: grapes for verjuice

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 23 08:16:41 PDT 2005

James Prescott/Thorvald wrote:

> First, Scully, The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages, Boydell:
> Woodbridge, 1995.  Page 102-103.  The quote within the quote is from
> Menagier.

[snip]

> For example, from Scully (Art of Cookery as above) page 111:
>
>   In the fifteenth century some cooks began to resort to the citrus
>   fruits for this bitter or sharp taste.  Though limes, lemons,
>   citrons and oranges (always the bitter orange at this time) appear
>   in Italian and Hispanic collections, and are squeezed for their
>   juices, vinegar and verjuice are never displaced from their
>   dominant positions, and much less did wine yield any ground at
>   all.

[snip]

  Pomegranate juice (from sour varieties of pomegranate) and pomegranate
wine were also used in those cuisines.  I'd also push the date further
back -- various citrus fruits appear in the 14th century Catalan
cookbooks "Libre de Sent Sovi" and "Libre de Totes Maneres de Confits".

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net