[Sca-cooks] Heinlein- was Cannibalism

julian wilson smnco37 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 23 09:41:06 PDT 2005

SNIP
wrote:
> I don't know if this will be of interest but I'm surprised it hasn't come
up in the context of this discussion. Has anyone other than I read RHH's
> "Stranger in a Strange Land"?

Yeah, and I'm one of them- Heinlein's one of my favorite authors, and
"SiaSL" is one of my favorite books by him. I haven't brought him into the
discussion because I'm interested in discussing the topic in terms of real
world history, rather than fictional history- too much fiction has been
injected into this topic and thread as it is.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

I wasn't following this thread until just now  - only took a look when the name Heinlein came up in the message header - him being one of my all-time great SciFi authors.
Fictional Cannibalism
"SiaSL" wasn't the immortal Master's only mention of cannibalism in his oeuvre, was it? I seem to recall the subject coming-up in "Farnham's Freehold" as well, though it's many years since I've read it..
Actual Cannibalism - "real world history"....as St. Phlip wrote
has anyone mentioned the "Raft of the Medusa" in this cannibalism connection? Now there's an historic example of men being driven by the instinct for survival. Great painting, too!

Yours in service,
Julian Wilson,
[aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
"The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
[the only medieval living-history Group
in "olde" Jersey]