[Sca-cooks] Period apple varieties

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 23:39:57 PDT 2005

--- Carole Smith <renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was perusing Kenelm Digbie's Closet Opened this morning and found a recipe where pippins are
> used.  Digbie went on to state that he preferred John-Apples above pippins.
>
> Does anyone happen to know what a John-Apple was like?
>
> thanx,
>
> Cordelia Toser

According to the Prospect Book's Glossary of Cooking Terms:

JOHN APPLES/APPLE-JOHN: a keeping apple, said to keep until the next year’s early apples were
ready, widely grown in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The name derives from their
lasting until about St. John’s Day (August 29). (Sir Kenelm Digby, 1669)  Also known more recently
as Ironstone Pippin, Winter Greening and French Crab. A cooking and cider apple known from
Elizabethan times for its good quality and excellent keeping properties.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/lane/kal69/shop/pages/glossa.htm

Huette

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.