[Sca-cooks] Re: salmon and gravlax (Stefan li Rous)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Apr 26 08:17:25 PDT 2005

Also sprach elisabetta at klotz.org:

>Of course his notes where disorganized on one piece of slightly
>stained and fish
>smelling paper, and my copy of the notes and recipes are somewhere,
>now lost but
>hopefully found in the future.

Then, of course, if this was the Baron Irik I knew, he was perfectly
capable of writing his notes _on_ a piece of salmon...

>So from what I learned from him on that day is this--
>1-Sugar period, no evidence used in cures
>2-Honey won't work because of the chemical reactions won't cure the fish (I
>asked this question also--he said to read Alton Brown)
>3-You cure food with 3 natural chemical processes--salt, sugar and acid (ie:
>lemon)
>4-Modern palate prefers sugar
>
>I'm not an expert on curing, and except for this knowledge, I know
>nothing about
>it, but I'm sure there is somone who can explain it much better.

My suspicion is that sugar wouldn't start to be used in curing until
it became both cheap to use in some quantity and readily available
for Europeans, so maybe we're talking about the 15th and 16th
centuries.

As for curing foods with acid, another biggie is lactic acid, which
is part of the process for corned beef, many cured sausages, and
probably gravlax once it reaches a certain stage. It's a natural
product of lactobacilli, which are also the beasties responsible for
things like sauerkraut, kim chee, and Kosher dill pickles.

Sugar is also a tenderizing agent, and products with sugar in the
cure tend to have what many regard as a better mouth feel.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04