[Sca-cooks] Nocino, period cordial or not?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 11:23:58 PDT 2005

Amaretto di Saronno claims origin during the Renaissance:

"Amaretto di Saronno. Legend establishes the origin of the Disaronno
liquor in Renaissance. At that date Bernardino Luini, a disciple of
Leonardo da Vinci's, fell so deeply in love that in one of his paintings
he portrayed the girl of his heart as the Madonna. To express her
gratitude the girl presented him with a precious distillate of almonds
and brandy from which today's product is said to descend. By now
undisputed leader of the market, it has been the token of the Reina
family's passion for distilling from 1700 to our present days."

Selene Colfox