[Sca-cooks] When DID the Renaissance End???(was:Nocino, period cordial or not?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Apr 26 16:54:50 PDT 2005

At 04:24 PM 4/26/2005, you wrote:

>On the other end, there is _NO_ starting date, despite certain loud mouths,
>notably in the Middle Kingdom, who state that our period starts in 600 CE. I
>was interested in studying the period that was the transition from the
>Classical era into the MA, and, having done my studying, determined, for my
>purposes, the MA began in the 470s due to two dates of significance- the
>Fall of Rome to Alaric and the transposition of the capitol of the Roman
>Empire from Rome, Italy to Byzantium/Constantinople, and the letters of the
>physician, Anthimus. I do not care to discuss how many times I have been
>told by the loud and ignorant that I was "too early" or that I was "trying
>to push the starting dates back to Og, the caveman."

I concurr on the early date. When I teach the 'Survey of the Middle Ages'
course (the behemoth that thank god I have talked them into breaking down
into smaller bits!), I figure the 'Dark Ages' (lacking a better term) as
the Sacking of Rome to Pepin's deposition of Childeric, And the MA as
roughly from Charlemange to Bosworth. (Though I do wobble on the last date,
and can just as well argue for 1348, 1400, 1450 or 1492).

>My response to this, with my usual tolerance for the willfully ignorant has
>been threefold:
>
>1. Read Corpora.
>2. Study history.
>3. Bite me.
>
>;-)

I love you Phlip, and I want to have your babies!

(Or maybe not, as I'm out of that business now... ;-D)

'Lainie