[Sca-cooks] Nocino, period cordial or not?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 26 22:25:31 PDT 2005

Well, as much as I would be a bit leery of the facts as given, it has
nothing to do with when the Renaissance ended. If you will re-read the
original quote, you will see that they claim to have been distilling
this particular liquor since 1700. And they claim that this particular
liquor was presented to a disciple of Leonardo da Vinci.

They do not claim that they were the first to be distilling this liquor
or that they were distilling this liquor during the Renaissance. Just
that this liquor was distilled during the Renaissance and that they
started distilling a successor of this liquor in 1700.

Stefan

> Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
> > Verrrry interesting.  In one paragraph, they try to link it to the
> > Renaissance with a legend.
> > And then they state that they started making the liquor in 1700.  I
> > would take this with a
> > couple of grains of salt.
> >
> > Huette
>
> Yeah, I spotted that, too. See, everyone knows the Renaissance is the
> lifetime of William Shakespeare, see, and dat's da 17th century. And
> da end a da 17th century is 1700, see? So 1700 is technically, the
> Renaissance...
>
> Ada... erm, Ras
>
> > --- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>  Amaretto di Saronno claims origin during the Renaissance:
> >>
> >>  "Amaretto di Saronno. Legend establishes the origin of the
> Disaronno
> >>  liquor in Renaissance. At that date Bernardino Luini, a disciple of
> >>  Leonardo da Vinci's, fell so deeply in love that in one of his
> >> paintings
> >>  he portrayed the girl of his heart as the Madonna. To express her
> >>  gratitude the girl presented him with a precious distillate of
> >> almonds
> >>  and brandy from which today's product is said to descend. By now
> >>  undisputed leader of the market, it has been the token of the Reina
> >>  family's passion for distilling from 1700 to our present days."
> >>
> >>  Selene Colfox

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com