[Sca-cooks] Re: Baumkuchen - Forward

Martinsen at ansteorra.org Martinsen at ansteorra.org
Wed Apr 27 09:52:35 PDT 2005

Here's the response from the Baumkuchen bakery.
 Interesting...very interesting....

(I've started my 1st 2 attempts this morning for the
Spiesskuchen.  Will post results tomorrow.)

Vitha
------------------
Dear Ms. Martinsen:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Sorry about the late reply, I was trying to find some
references for you, but could not locate the information.
Baumkuchen is a German word and it translates to"
treecake". It is baked on a rotisserie by adding a thin
layer of batter and baking it before adding the next
layer, etc..
When the cake is cut, it has the appearance of a cut tree
trunk with its annual rings.
I have not heard of it being referred to as Speisskuchen,
even though Spiesskuchen would be a possibility because a
rotissery rod would be Spiess in German.
But have have not heard it being called that.
Baumkuchen first appeared in literature in the 15th
century, where it is described in an Italian cook book
(sorry, I could not find this reference for you, even
though I know we have it somewhere in our archives).
Initially it was baked for European royalty and today it
is still the symbol of ther German confectionary trade, an
illustration of the Baumkuchen being part of its logo.
Because of this it is still known as the "Cake of Kings
and King of Cakes". Today it is still very popular in many
parts of Europe, mostly German speaking parts and in
Skandinavia, and in Japan, where it is called by its
German name Baumkuchen.

For reference please contact the publishers of "Konditorei
& Cafe", the official Trade Magazin of the German
Confectionary Trade.
Matthaes Verlag GmbH, Olgastrasse 87, 70180 Stuttgart,
Germany, Mailing Address: Postfach 10 31 44, 70027
Stuttgart,
e-mail: koca at matthaes.de, web-site: www.matthaes.de. Hope
they can help you.

With best Regards, and much success with your research,

Hans J. Hens
President
Eitelbach Baumkuchen Pastries Ltd.

sales at eitelbach.com