[Sca-cooks] How much land to feed a person

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Apr 27 20:21:24 PDT 2005

At least in England there's a rather famous study--
The Agrarian History of England and Wales, edited at least in part
by Joan Thirsk. It is several volumes in length. I am sure that
aspects of what you want are covered in there.
Individual estates have been studied for PhD's of course.
You might see what the local academic library offers in terms
of agrarian history and access to dissertations.
I rather suspect that it will vary over time due to place and climate
change. Certainly one reason for the adoption of the new world
potato had to do with substantial yield of foodstuffs in a small acreage.

Johnnae