[Sca-cooks] Paper twists of spice (Was spice storage)

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Apr 29 20:17:31 PDT 2005

The paper wouldn't necessarily have come from a book. At least
in England during this period there were any number of broadsides
(definition: Broadsides--printing on one side of a single sheet of paper)
 being printed and distributed. These could be anything from
proclamations to legal notices to scandalous songs and ballads.
They advertised plays, boats leaving for the New World, sermons, etc.
They could very well have been used by a merchant to wrap up a small
purchase for a housewife or servant. The other possibility that comes to
mind
is that it could be discarded paper from a mistake or trial run at a
printer.
(How many sheets do I waste at times today trying to get the xerox to copy
what I want in the format, darkness, size, etc. that I want?) What was done
with discarded paper? One images that some was recycled into more paper
possibly, but is it outside the realm of possibility that the thrifty
Dutch would
not have used in some other fashion?

Johnnae