[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Article

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 17 08:14:50 PDT 2005

Here's a news article about the war--

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05226/552585.stm

    10,000 Renaissance buffs converge on Butler County for annual
    Pennsic War

Sunday, August 14, 2005   By Kathleen Ganster

It reads in part--

Not only do medieval and Renaissance history buffs from the area attend,
people come from as far away as Sweden, Germany, France and Italy as
well as Canada and other parts of the United States, according to media
liaison Craig Allen, aka Corun MacAnndra. "We each have a name that we
go by that has special meaning to us," he explained.

"I think it was in 1963 or '64 that a group of like-minded fans in
Berkeley, Calif., said 'Hey, let's do this medieval thing' and got
together to form a kingdom. The idea spread and now there are several
kingdoms around the world," Allen said. Pennsic War is one of the
largest worldwide, he added.

Gee I remember something about a May Day party in 1966...

Johnnae