[Sca-cooks] Re: shish kabab response #1

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Sat Aug 20 18:07:11 PDT 2005

In a message dated 08/20/2005 2:48:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> 1. On flaming....
>
> No idea... is this in any way documantable?

Nope, but when it can be considered a Royal Command... ;)
(The Autocrat planning this shindig is also the Baron of the Barony and
enjoys good theater; the theme of the Event is Masterpiece Theater)

> 2. Point taken on the Lamb
>
> Freezing shouldn't toughen the meat, and the whole point of a marinade
> is to let the meat sit in it.

Understand

> Pick up the telephone and arrange to borrow another barbecue.
> Seriously.  Also, cut the meat fairly small, that is, make your kebabs
> about 1" across and 1/2" thick-- they'll grill much quicker than big
> kebabs with inch-and-a-half cubes of meat.

I am asking around to see if anyone has a gas grill they will let us borrow.
You won't get that good woodsy flavor, but, they will taste grilled....

> Sorry, no idea... I usually skip the veggies and serve with plenty of
> salad, etc.

I like to give the vegetarians a good choice (we have quite a few)-so I may
throw some blanched winter squash in there-that is the closest we can come to
the 'pumpkin'  that was Period.

> This isn't really my area of expertise, but try looking up al-Andalus
> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_conten
> ts.htm
>
> Also, I found the following page, which has some worked out recipe from
> both al Andalus and from a thirteenth century cookbook, al Baghdadi
> http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/cook/cowshedarabic.htm

I have heard of the Anonymous Andalusian, and I have looked it over, but not
recently (my bad, I know) but the second is new to me-thank you!

Thank you!

Helen