[Sca-cooks] OT - Katrina Updates 8/31

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 31 12:40:08 PDT 2005

More folks have reported in from the worst affected areas, most everyone
from New Orleans is accounted for with the exception of a few relatives that
stayed behind and have not been in contact yet.  House Gambit - Mistresses
Diana and Daphne and Sir Loric are safe, they got out when things got really
bad thank goodness. Their house was under 7 feet of water and they lost
everything.  Diana and Bashi were going back to salvage what they could.
Still no word about Sir John the Persuwer and his lady wife.  Word from
Baton Rouge is pretty good - they are without power but ok (Norseland - Orm
should be fine, his neighbors across the street checked in and said they
were ok).  Vlad (of Vlad's Pleasure Pavillion) just moved to MS and is in
need, see the email below.  Also below is the latest word on the Gulf Wars
site.
Have to go to work, and it has been a big driving day.  I have driven by
several gas stations that were struggling to keep up with the escalating
prices, almost like watching the prices flip by on a rolodex.
Christianna

Meridies is moblizing to accept care packages. Their seneschal will let
people know as soon as they have a system set up for distribution. So
we're not just randomly sending stuff down to the Red Cross and saying
"Here! Have a bunch of blankets!"

The Autocrat of the Novice Scola in Carolingia has agreed to set up a
collection point there. This is what I want to do:

Packages with some toothpaste, soap, shampoo, clean socks, underwear,
deoderant (maybe a washcloth?), pads and/or tampons. Some other packages
with the same (less the pads or tampons), plus a small stuffed animal
(for the kids). And some blankets if we can.

We'll need some small monetary donations to help with shipping.

I know of a few people that are starting on replacing SCA stuff...
that's great, but not what's needed now and in the next few weeks or
months. Gulf Wars, however, is in March and would not be a bad goal for
that kind of drive.

Thank you.
Drucilla Meany-Herbert [bookshop at charter.net]

My dear friends,

    As we all know the devastation from the hurricane is astronomical and is
worse than any of us could imagine. I come to you now as a friend, a sister
SCAdian, and as a firefighter to see if we can't pull together as a group to
help those that would do the same for us. There is one person in particular
that
I have seen raise thousands of dollars over the years during his parties at
Pennsic to help many fellow SCAdians in need. With this Pennsic just past,
he
donated a lot of money to a gentle who suffered a fire and lost all of his
SCA
stuff. Many of you know Vlad and know that he recently moved to Mississippi.
He
doesn't know anyone there that can help him and I plan to travel up myself
help him with the clean up as I know he would do the same for me. His area
suffered most of the destruction.
    To do everything I can to help, I have set up a paypal account for
donations. The link is posted below. I have tried to make it easy for those
of us
that were lucky during the season to help those who have not been. If it is
possible, any amount will be accepted and appreciated. Please forward this
letter
to other SCA list if you can.
   For anyone who may not know me, I will list my personal information as
well so that you may check the validity of this account if you wish.
  Thank you so much for your time and help with this endeavor.
                                Please make donations at
                         (Link) Hurricane Relief/ SCA

Ever in service to the Kingdom of Trimaris,
Cherish  FitzGerald
firebugg911 at aol.com
863-409-7445

   Let me try this again....
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=firebugg911%40aol
%2ecom&item_name=Hurricane%20Relief%2f%20SCA&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&c
urrency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8
or
Hurricane relief/ SCA

Hi South Downs,
Gasoline prices are $2.99 a gallon here in Fayetteville at 2:30 PM.
That's up from $2.59 this morning.
They are rumored to be going to $4.00 by tomorrow and we are
experiencing some rationing- 10 gallons per car.
I let all the nurses take turns going out to get gas.
I will not be at the meeting this evening unless I can find a horse and
chariot....
Sigh....
Best wishes and hugs,
CJ