[Sca-cooks] Italian Fried Custards?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Thu Aug 4 13:57:28 PDT 2005

I'm planning for Caid 12th night feast in January of next year, and
that is why I've been asking about feast service, this, that, other
stuff (especially regarding Apicius).

One of the requests/suggestions I've gotten is to do the fried
custards that they mention in "The Stars Compel. by Michaela Roessner".

I can't seem to find any references to it in the Scappi menus
recommended by Helewyse, or in the Anonymous Venetian cookbook, or in
libro del coch, or .. anywhere.

I see lots of mundane references to fried ricotta as a dessert, but
no references in the period cookbooks.

Does anybody know if its referred to by a name other than fritelle di
crema? or something?? maybe?

If this thing is a period dish I'd like to start playtesting this weekend.

Thanks!!
Maggie

PS-- I've already come up with a really yummy version of cebollada to
use, and I think its going to work just fine.