[Sca-cooks] Re: very old twinkies

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Aug 6 11:29:49 PDT 2005

Another story about twinkies was in the New York Times Education section
on July 31st.

  The World's Oldest Snack Food

By ABBY ELLIN
Published: July 31, 2005

THIRTY years ago, Roger Bennatti, a science teacher at George Stevens
Academy in Blue Hill, Me., decided to test the myth that a Twinkie lasts
forever. So he bought a two-pack, ate one and placed the other, still in
its wrapper, on top of the intercom box. There it sat until he retired
last year.
"Mr. Bennatti was leaving and the kids were worried that someone was
going to steal the Twinkie," says Libby Rosemeier, a former student who
now teaches at the school. "So I said, 'Look, Roger, I was in the
original class when you bought it, and you've got to pass it on.' So he
did." Ms. Rosemeier's father has built a glass case to protect the
snack. It sits in her classroom.
The Twinkie is in fine condition, if somewhat dusty and the consistency
of Styrofoam. "There's a little bit of what looks like mold on it," Ms.
Rosemeier says, "but it's mold that has dried up and is no longer active."
Anne Drozda, brand manager for Hostess, says that the preservatives in a
Twinkie give it an official shelf life of only 25 days post-assembly
line. "It's made from eggs and milk and sugar and flour. Just like
anything else, it's going to go bad. Even after 21 days it starts to go
stale and gets this weird texture." About Blue Hill's Twinkie, she says,
"I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole."

Johnnae