[Sca-cooks] RE: Plums and Irish

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 7 11:57:49 PDT 2005

Dug out my copy Mabey's Flora Britannica. Mabey notes that "It is
possible that
the tree known as the bullace (P. domestica ssp. insititia) with large
sloe -like fruits is native in woodlands in Britain. But its fruits are
barely
distinguishable from naturalised, dark fruited damsons."
He notes that some are relect or bird sown and some trees found today are
crosses between the blackthorn and various sweeter flavored Asian plums that
were introduced more recently.

Johnnae