[Sca-cooks] Marzipan! Fruit!

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Aug 8 20:38:20 PDT 2005

I'm an overachiever. :-)

The green and yellow are from a bin of very very old liquid food color
made by General Mills. The red is powdered color of the same vintage. Any
brown will be paste color from Wilton's. The ancient color is leftover
from my grandfather's stock--and he died in 1988, so that should give you
a starting idea of how old these colors are.

I have some petal dusts, but I really wasn't happy with how they look.
Mostly they're for flowers, so shades of pink and purple and such, and
that just doesn't work well for fruit.

And no, I don't really think people are going to want to eat them, since
they'll be hard as little marbles by October, and hopefully varnished or
similarly glazed (I'm thinking egg whites). If I get time I will make up
extra so that if people really want they can have marzipan fruit, and for
those I'll use new paste colors. Don't want to poison people accidentally.

I bought fruit today to use as examples. ;-)

I need another fruit for variety, and I'm undecided between cherries and
grapes, which seem to be common in representations of fall fruits.
Cherries are larger, but much much darker and I haven't a clue what sort
of thing to make the stems out of, so it's six of one, half-dozen of the
other.

Margaret