[Sca-cooks] Feast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 9 20:04:14 PDT 2005

Jaime Declet mentioned:
> I am preparing a feast for teenagers for my Library and I am
> wondering if my choices are too complicated (complicated is not
> really the word I want them to eat I guess) for non SCA teens.
> Also I am looking for an easy beef recipe that could be appealing
> to non SCA teens.

Hmmm. Is this in the library?

finger-foods-msg  (24K)  9/ 2/02    Ideas for finger foods at feasts
and events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/finger-foods-msg.html

> Menu
>
> First Remove

Well, "course" is the real term."Remove" used in this way is either a
created Scadian term or a mis-application of a late-period term.

> Grapes, celery carrots apples bread and butter
>
> Second Remove
>
> Greens, grapes, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and garlic (I am not
> sure if teens would be too keen on bitter salad since most of the
> period green were slightly bitter, correct?)

I'm not sure where you get this idea that the period greens were
slightly bitter. A bit too much of a global catch-all statement for
me. I find medieval salads to be much more varied and much more
interesting than what I generally see these days. You might want to
take a look through these files in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium for some ideas:
Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00    "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne
de Huguenin
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Summer-Salad-art.html
salads-msg       (151K)  9/12/04    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/salads-msg.html

> Third Remove
>
>             Roasted Potatoes with sage and rosemary

Sweet potatoes appear to much more likely than white potatoes. And
even then only in the 16th century and only in some areas. I'd go
with something else, much as I prefer potatoes to most vegetables.
potatoes-msg      (89K)  1/23/05    Period white and sweet potato
use. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/potatoes-msg.html

How about:
23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K)  3/ 6/03    "Twenty-three German Mushroom
Recipes"
                                        by Anahita.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/23-Ger-Mushrm-art.html
vegetables-msg   (132K)  3/19/03    Period vegetables. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/vegetables-msg.html

>             Roasted Chicken with sage an rosemary

Some other chicken recipes:
chicken-msg      (163K) 10/ 8/04    Period and SCA chicken recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/chicken-msg.html
roast-chicken-msg (39K)  8/31/00    Period and SCA baked or roasted
chicken.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/roast-chicken-msg.html

> Fourth Remove
>
>             Rice Pilaf

rice-msg          (83K)  5/ 4/04    Period rice. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/rice-msg.html

frumenty?
frumenty-msg      (62K)  6/21/01    A period cooked grain dish, often
barley.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/frumenty-msg.html

>             Beef dish???

stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stews-bruets-msg.html
meat-pies-msg    (144K)  4/20/05    Period meat pies. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meat-pies-msg.html

> Fifth Remove
>
>             Fruit Pies Apple and cherry

fruit-pies-msg    (45K)  1/ 5/01    Period fruit pies. Recipes.
Baking pies.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fruit-pies-msg.html

>             Shortbread and preserves

shortbread-msg    (33K)  3/29/05    Period shortbread. Recipes and
directions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/shortbread-msg.html
gingerbread-msg   (48K)  6/15/04    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html
14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/14C-Sweets-art.html
marmalades-msg    (76K)  6/18/04    Period marmalades and fruit
jellies and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html

> What do you think and if you have any suggestions they will be
> appreciated.

I hope this helps. There are many other suggestions as well in the
food and feast sections in the Florilegium. What about medieval
beverages? See the files in the BEVERAGES section including non-
alcoholic ones.
beverages-NA-msg  (89K)  6/23/05    Non-alcoholic beverages.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/beverages-NA-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas