[Sca-cooks] Marzipan! Fruit!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 11 22:24:35 PDT 2005

   Kiri replied to Margaret with:
> Cat Dancer wrote:
> > Oooh! Hadn't thought of pomegranates. That could be cool. And maybe
> > some red/purple plums for more color variety, if I can get the dark
> > red for the grapes right I'll make some plums as well.
> >
> > Hmmm. I might have to do summer berries for a subtlety sometime.
> >
> > Margaret
>
> I seem to recall a cool idea for a subtlety that was done in
> period...make grapes from marzipan, sugar them, then mix them in with
> real grapes that have been sugared!

I don't imagine you know where you saw this reference do you? Sigh.
I've been considering doing this with walnuts or other nut for a
number of years. With prizes or something inside the marzipan nuts.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure i could create a realistic enough
coloring. Especially when see side by side with the real nuts.
Walnuts though, at least, don't have a lot of shading and multiple
colors.

Margaret, I thought your coloring of your fruits was fantastic.
Especially the pears. Some of the best shading I've ever seen. What
did you use for stems, real ones off of other pears?

Were the reddish ones all meant to be apples? While the colors were
fantastic, the shapes mostly seemed a bit too round and symetrical
between the top and bottom. Or were some of these something other
than apples, such as tomatoes or oranges?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com