[Sca-cooks] Indian Nut

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 12 20:32:57 PDT 2005

The problem with a coconut from Cape Verde is the cookbook (which is
probably the Anonimo Toscano) is late 14th or very early 15th Century.  The
Portugese only located the Cape in 1456.

It is possible that coconuts were shipped as part of the spice trade into
Egypt then into Italy which would make the nuts expensive and rare.  I have
to admit, I haven't encountered the idea in any of my readings.

One also needs to remember that coconuts are primarily found in the Pacific
and Indian Oceans and that those in West Africa were brought there  probably
by trade, which may have occurred after the Portuguese started regular trade
with India.

The history of the coconut looks like it might be fertile ground for a
little research.

Bear