[Sca-cooks] 'feast of the twice-cooked dishes'

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 15 05:36:34 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces+franiccolo=mindspring.com at ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces+franiccolo=mindspring.com at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of Barbara Benson
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 4:20 AM
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] 'feast of the twice-cooked dishes'

<<<SNIP>>>
But, back to the subject, since niccolo was also in the kitchen, we
were both very involved in the preparation of each others feasts. I
believe he got a bit tired of thinking he had cooked a dish and then
myself coming back and telling him to cook it again! So, he always
refers to it as the feast of twice-cooked dishes.
Glad Tidings,
--Serena da Riva>>>>

Not at all tired.  I was actually bemused that Serena had quite
unintentionally come to the menu where nearly all dishes had two cooking
techniques or steps.  there were all magnificent, and I recommend any and
all to try the dishes.  The concept and menu were really quite creative and
fun to watch.  This is the first 'performance feast' that I can ever
remember hearing of in Meridies.

It was a learning experience for me to watch the progress in the kitchen as
several dishes also had to be timed to finish right at serving, and did not
have long hold times.  I generally aim for held dishes myself.  My teasing
is from a phenomenon in Meridies where once in a blue moon, a feast will
come off with a strong, yet almost always unintended theme.  The Cinnamon
feast, the white feast, the goat stew and fish feast.  Some thread ends up
running through all the dishes that doesn't become clear until fork is in
mouth.  My last semi-unintentional theme was the saffron feast.  I chose
several dishes as they had saffron, and others just happened.  3 ounces
total used to feed 180.

pacem et saffron,

niccolo difrancesco