[Sca-cooks] Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Sat Aug 20 18:15:20 PDT 2005

Ok I have 2 comments here....
Yes let's encourage the new cook to cook in a period fashion but let's
not immediately criticize her for doing what she was asked to do....
Please note that she told us that she was "requested to cook Shish
Kabobs with the usual accompaniments."
If that was what was requested then she should do this if it is her
choice.   Let's not discourage her in her first feast by knocking the
wind from her sails.  I offer up below my suggestion for safely serving
the Kabobs....
I am merely pointing out btw that some folks can be sensitive and often
times we who have been around awhile should take care in how we respond...
I remember getting into a huge argument with Lord Ras over using SCA
events for charity drives.  (I was sensitive at the time since I had
just lost a good friend to Leukemia.)  Now granted I am more hard headed
than some so I stuck around but I would hate for one of us to frighten
away a new person and be referred to as maybe (GASP) "Food Nazi's".  ;)
SO with that being said...

CLdyroz at aol.com wrote:

>Good Evening!
>I have actually been asked to  cook a course at our December Event. ;)
>Yes, it will be my first....
>It has been requested that I prepare Shish Kababs with the usual
>accompaniments.
>
>Now, part of the presentation is have the Head Table presented with flaming
>Shish Kabab on fencing foils.
>So, I have a flood of questions;

Helen,
While I might not know tons of things about period Middle Eastern
Cooking if you are looking for more period recipes to serve with the
requested dish I would suggest Cariadoc's website.
  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

Also the Good Cookery website
http://www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm

Be careful there as there are a few modern recipes there that can get
you excited as a new cook.  Just make sure that you find a date and
source on the recipe.

As this is a first for you I will not discourage you from the
presentation,  I will warn you that cooking the food on the foils would
not be wise as it will trash someone's sword as well as possibly
contaminating the food.  However ;) I will tell you how to safely work
your presentation...
First off use epee's as they are sturdier.  Neither of the swords we use
are really period if you are using a light rapier.  Now if you can get
someone to loan up a heavy rapier sword it would look even better.
 (Talk to some of the rapier fighters sounds like you already know
some.)  But for the illustration I will use an epee.

Cover the epee with aluminum foil all the way down the blade, over the
point, and to the hilt.  (Note you do not have to cover the hilt.)
Set this blade aside.
Next strip some twist ties of their paper, or cut some metal wires and
set either of these aside with the covered blade.

Now there are 2 ways to safely cook your kabobs... One might raise the
roof on this list as far as safety goes but I would argue that one
gazillion camps can't be to wrong.  So my first suggestion is to get
some coat hangers that are NOT painted but are metal and straighten out
as much of them as possible.  Cut off any curly parts, and cut them to
the length of the epee blade. (If they fall a bit short just tell the
server that you were thinking of their protection and you meant it that
way...)
You will need a rectangular grill for these sorry if you have to buy a
new grill.  Just consider it a reward for your hard work... Can't afford
the grill see my second suggestion...
Anyways load up the (now) skewers with your kabobs stuff and cook until
they are ready.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a little bit.

Now you might get burned here but it is always worth my pain for the
show so this is how I would do it...
Once the kabobs have cooled a little bit have someone with oven mits
hold the kabob and sword together and using the twist ties (or wire)
secure the kabob to the sword.

Pour on the booze and light that puppy.   (BTW I am probably the only
person that this happened to but Brandy didn't work for me.  I suggest
grain alcohol, or if you live down here with us heatherns... ((That
would be heathens for all ya'll non southerners (((That would be someone
going against the church for those not of the Southern Christian Faith)))))
Anyways if you live in the South... might I suggest good old Everclear.
 190 Proof grain alcohol that will also strip the paint off of your
walls or kill you if you drink more than a cup straight.  But dang does
it burn real purty.

Now for the other way to safely cook your kabob for those purists what
don't trust years of campfire enthusiasts...
go buy some of the metal skewers for kabobs... (If you find some without
a handled end or a round end buy those otherwise just cut off the
rounded end so you have straight sticks.)
Load them up and follow the above directions except for when you are
wiring them to the blades just wire as many as will fit.

Tah Dah flaming sheesh kabobs....  Yes I meant to spell it that way.

Don't be discouraged if some of us get a little spastic over periodness.
 You will find yourself correcting someone one day and go "Hmmm I guess
I am a veteran list member now...."
Good luck with you course.

Lord Nichola