[Sca-cooks] Tiki Torch Recall

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 08:55:39 PDT 2005

>> Morgana wrote
>>
>>> We don't use them much in Oertha (Alaska) either (G). Unless we're
>>> down on the Kenai Peninsula or the Panhandle, it doesn't get dark
>>> enough during the short summer camping season to use them, and it's
>>> way too cold in the winter to do outdoor courts etc. I've done
>>> needlework in mid-July at midnight with ambient light in Winter's
>>> Gate (Fairbanks), which is a delightful feeling.
>>
>> <snip Urtatim's apology>
>

> No apology necessary. I just thought I'd add how weird it is up here
> sometimes, and how some issues just don't affect us (G). I thought
> they were spiffy in An Tir, but we'll never really be able to use them
> often enough for any of us to own them...

Weird?  Nay, merely a better match for real conditions in the same
latitudes that the Vikings experienced and which their descendants still do.

I'm continually amused that Scandinavian SCA members have real names
like English-speaking SCA members want for SCA names... then the real
Yngve Torsson's register SCA names like John Smith.  <amused smile>  The
grass is always greener on the other side of the Arctic Circle, belike.

Selene, name fanatic