[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 14:41:21 PDT 2005

otsisto wrote:

>I do not believe that Basque and Catalan are the same thing.
>Lyse

They are not the same thing.  I have not come across any period recipes
-- though that may be a language issue.  Basque is not an Indo-European
language, and is completely unlike, French, Spanish, and Catalan.

Alan Davidson, in "The Penguin Companion to Food", mentions seafood and
mushrooms as being two significant items in Basque cuisine.  Mark
Kurlansky, in "Cod: a biography of the fish that changed the world",
says that in the Middle Ages, Basque fishermen were catching, salting,
and selling large quantities of cod and whale.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net