[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 26 15:22:41 PDT 2005

Basque and Catalans are different in both location and language.  Catalan is
a Romance language.  Basque is not related to any major language and is
lumped  into a group of unrelated languages including Japanese, Ainu,
Korean, Elamite, Etruscan, Merotic, Sumerian and Hurrian (according to the
quick ref).  Catlan is spoken from Andorra East into Catalonia and
Roussillon (Fr.) and the Balearic Isles.  Basque is spoken at the opposite
end of the Pyrennees, primarily in the provinces that make up Navarre and,
at one time, Gascony and Aquitane.

To my knowledge, there are no extant Basque recipes from the SCA period.

Bear