[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 26 16:51:37 PDT 2005

Sorry if I confused things. I was on my way out the door
to go get Patrick from practice. Santich is the only thing in English
that comes to mind that might be close
to containing medieval fare that the Basque people might have eaten.
I did say it contained Catalan fare. Culinaria Spain doesn't contain
a good historical section on the cusine; it does for a number of
regions, but not this one. I checked Adamson
and some of the other stuff laying around and didn't find anything else.
In checking FirstSearch,
there are however at least 170 books catalogued under Cookery, Basque
so there might be something mentioned in one of those. 24 are listed as
being in English. The only book that comes through in an added keyword
search with the word history added is this one--
Traditional Basque cooking :
history and preparation / which is a University of Nevada Press.
UNV Press site says:
Traditional Basque Cooking: History and Preparation
Jose Maria Busca Isusi
Busca Isusi discusses the history of Basque food from prehistoric times
to the modern age—the kinds of food eaten, the cooking utensils
employed, and the methods of preparation used. These favorite Basque
recipes provide much information on this culture's unique cuisine as
well as specific instructions on how to prepare the food. more ...
<http://www.nvbooks.nevada.edu/t/traditional.html#more>
212 pages, line drawings, 1993
Paper, 0-87417-202-0
$21.95