[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Aug 27 07:01:36 PDT 2005

On Aug 27, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Phlip wrote:

> Good point, Adamantius- just wish Brighid had said something to
> that effect-
> it rather startled me, that she included the pimientos without
> explanation.

Perhaps it was such an obvious step [for her]  in the logical
sequence that she didn't think it worth mentioning. I'll bet she
wishes now that she had ;-). But let's see what she says.

> Be interesting, to see the recipe in translation- perhaps to
> discover if
> this is an actual Basque recipe, or if it's a recipe perceived as
> being
> cooked the way the Basque folks cook things, as we have seen in other
> recipes. Personally, all things considered, I'd expect Basque
> recipes to be
> heavily reliant on lamb or mutton, perhaps goat, since sheep and
> goats would
> tend to be a more appropriate foodstuff for their lifestyles, than
> chickens
> would.

The Basques were allegedly instrumental in the invention of salt cod,
too, and eat a lot of it to this day, and in the Middle Ages, I
gather they were among the most daring and farthest-ranging explorers
of the Atlantic, if only in search of cod and herring... ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04