[Sca-cooks] A bird bird bird- bird is the word!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 01:48:41 PDT 2005

Many grouse species are native to Europe, but not Poitou.  The closest areas that have some
species of grouse are Aquitaine, which has a sub-species of Wood Grouse (Tetrao Urogallus
Aquitanicus) which can also be found in the Pyrenees and the Cevennes.  The Tetrao Urogallus
Major is found in the French Alps.  The Ptarmigan (Lagopus muta or mutus) can be found in the
Pyrenees and in the Alps.  The Hazel Grouse (Bonasa bonasia) can be found in Provence and the
French Alps.

The other countries that have species of Grouse are England and Scotland, Germany, Belgium, all
the Scandinavian countries, most of the Central and Eastern European countries, and Russia.

As for other game birds, off the top of my head: partridge, pheasant, goose, duck.  Quail was
considered unwholesome until recently.  Apparently quail eat poisonous plants, like Hellebore.

Huette