[Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 30 12:49:23 PDT 2005

Actually, gutting, cleaning and salting were done on shipboard by blue water
fishermen as would have frequented the Grand Banks.  As I recall, Rudyard
Kipling's "Captain's Courageous" has an extensive description of the
practice as done in the 19th Century and the practice hadn't changed much
since the Middle Ages.

The Basque whaling station dates to a period just before the development of
whaling ships large enough to process the kill at sea.

Bear