[Sca-cooks] body piercings

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 15:17:56 PDT 2005

On 8/29/05, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>  Does anyone know if body piercings were practiced by any of the
>  cultures we study? I know that the Church frowned upon tattoos, so
>  they were not very common, and I imagine that the Church would say
>  the same thing about piercings. I do have some info on ear rings for
>  both males and females in period, but I'm thinking of other parts of
>  the body.

Like Asim, i've mostly seen piercings in period - other than in ears
- in the Ottoman Empire.

There are pictures in the Codex Vindobonensis 8626 (circa 1590), in
the Austrian National Library, believed to have been painted between
1586 and 1591 by an unknown south German artist in the suite of
Bartolemeo di Pezzana, ambassador of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolph
II to the Sultan.

There are many pictures from this book at
http://home.fuse.net/ihorowit/Ottomania.htm
Some are perfectly "safe", others are very clearly NOT WORK OR CHILD
SAFE, so view at your own risk.

Hi, Asim!
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)