[Sca-cooks] Uses for fava beans....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Dec 4 13:16:38 PST 2005

In my quest for good winter comfort food, I strapped on the ole' snowshoes
and trekked up hill (both ways, of course) through a howling blizzard to my
neighborhood grocery store.  On my list was a package of dried split peas.
In the same aisle with said peas (they didn't have yellow ones, so I settled
for green), were bags of dried fava beans! They look a bit like limas on
steroids--range in size from the tip of my index finger to the tip of my
thumb, and are sort of a medium golden color.
I'd like to try some experiments with them, but the only period recipe that
I'm remembering right now is the "Beans Y-Fried" recipe (with fresh
ones???).  Anyone have any recommendations, favorite recipes, etc.? I'm
looking not just for the heck of it (although that's partly it), but also
thinking of all those meatless days I've got coming in Lent in a couple of
months.....
--Maire, off to start the bread and also the turkey stock (for mulligatawny
soup....mmmm)
p.s.  It's actually quite a nice day for a wintery/snowy December.  In the
teens somewhere, but there's sunshine, so the cats are having a lovely
snooze in the sunshine coming through the window onto the
bed....zzzzzzz.....