[Sca-cooks] Early American pedigree

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 20:49:00 PST 2005

Several folks were talking about their ancestors:

kingstaste at mindspring.com writes:
Exploring our links to period ancestry, Maire stated:
 > --Maire,  Artemisian descended from a long, long line of Yankies so
 > old  it's
 > almost period....who is now craving Red Flannel Hash.  And  maple
 > syrup, although not on top of the hash. ;o)

Capt.  Elias then gave us part of his pedigree:
 > I am also descended from a  line of Yankees almost period...
 > The Gedneys came to Salem in  1640...
 > (We hung witches and everything! We were so fashionable! :-p  )

Me too. I am the 13th generation of Seelye (or one of many  variants in
spelling) in North America. Capt. Robert Seeley (1602 - 1666) -  Came to
America 1630 - died on Long Island 10/19/1666.  My dad was  named Robert
Seelye as well.  (Oh, no - watch out, we're almost  talking SCA time-
period
here - things really do always come back around to  that, don't they?)

Myself and Mordonna's ex are descended from Dr. Henry Woodward who
hit the
Carolina shores in 1674 or  thereabouts. A few years later, after
escaping from
Spanish "hospitality" he  brought back English Colonists. Apparently the
Spanish didn't want any English  this far South, but there ya are.

Corwyn
<<<<

This made me think of a book I read recently on the early failures of
England to colonize the New World. I was thinking it was during the
time frame that you all are talking about above, but when I pulled
the book I realized that it actually talks about the 16th century.
However, I thought some of you, or others on this list, might enjoy
it. I was unaware of most of these failed colonies before reading
this book.

Undreamed Shores: England's Wasted Empire in America
"England's Wasted Empire in America. A Story of Rogues, Pirates and
High-flying Ambition and Plain Greed"
Foss, Michael
ISBN: 1-84212-077-8
Phoenix Press, London
Paperback

Book Description
Unveils the true story of devious policy, misplaced idealism, high-
flying ambition and greed. Features the visionary John Cabot, the
incalculable Walter Raleigh, the rogue Thomas Stukeley, and the
idealist Humphrey Gilbert among a cast of sailors, colonists and
Indians.

Stefan
(Who also had a number of ancestors who came early to America, but my
mother has done the genealogy rather than me, so I don't know the
details. The strange thing is that the latest anyone seems to have
come over was in the 1840s)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com