[Sca-cooks] French bread, was grilled Cuban sandwiches?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 09:42:15 PST 2005

Adamantius wrote:
>It's yeasty-tasting and has a very short shelf life (unlike some of
>the French breads that are at their best in the third or fourth day),

OK, which French breads are these?

My experience in Southern France was that the standard baguette or
batard wasn't even good a few hours later. You bought it shortly
before your meal. If you didn't eat it all, 4 hours later it was dry,
hard, and inedible.

I eventually discovered something called - uh, it has been over 35
years, so i may get this wrong - pain le mairie. It was a boule -
that is a dome shaped loaf - made of a mix of white and whole wheat
flours. It could keep a day or so and still be good.

So, i'm quite curious, which breads are good 4 days later?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita