[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks freezing butter

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Dec 22 07:11:37 PST 2005

I imagine in past times, one would wash store bought butter to wash out
the salt that was used as a preservative, as was mentioned by in
butter, and mentioned it to make sure the butter was well washed?

I've left both store bought and homemade, raw butter out on the counter
to keep it soft.  In cool-ish temperatures, it will keep for a long
time.  In summer temperatures with no a/c, store bought will go rancid
in about a week.  Raw butter will become progressively more sour until
it's... distasteful due to the natural bacterial cultures, but if it's
well washed, it shouldn't go rancid, or at least it won't go rancid
before it's too sour to eat anyway ;)  (There's a clear difference
between rancid and sour milk or butter.  Sour is, well, tart and maybe a
little gamey.  Rancid is FOUL.)

I've frozen both store bought and homemade raw butter with no apparant
loss of quality.  In fact, I really ought to freeze some of my last
batch of homemade butter.  Since I've gone gluten free I'm not doing
much baking this Christmas, so I'm not going through it very quickly...

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf