[Sca-cooks] Olive oil subbed for butter

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 09:19:10 PST 2005

At the last moment I was cooking wafers for my
baronies Yule Revel
pot luck last week. My wife was going to drive me to
the grocery to
get any ingredients I was missing, but she wasn't
feeling well. I now
have a restriction on my license which says no driving
after dark.
Stefan,

This reminded me that one of the products we get here
at the gourmet shop I work in is called Tortas de
Aceite.  They are flat wafer-like cookies that are
made with virgin olive oil.  They are light and flaky
with a crisp crunch to them and have a touch of anise
added to the batter.  They are really, really yummy.
They would be considered a savory if they didn't have
the crystallized sugar sprinkled on top.

Also, in period the southern countries didn't use much
butter as it didn't keep so well, they tended to use
oils on a more frequent basis.

Eibhlin

*********

So, I had most of the ingredients at home to make
Johnnae's recipe
for wafers (usually I've used Hauviette's recipe),
except no butter.

I ended up using olive oil since that is what
Hauviette's recipe did
use, although I had to guess on the amount. I used 1/3
cup plus 1/2
that amount for 1 stick of butter.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I could freeze some butter or
margarine for
future "emergencies".