[Sca-cooks] egg storage

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 21:25:41 PST 2005

commented:

If you'll remember from previous discussions, eggs, too, can be kept
out for
several days, as long as you don't keep them out too long, or in
direct heat
or sun. Refrigeration merely extends a fairly long shelf life, rather
than
providing all of it.
<<<

Yes, I remember those discussions. For those who weren't here for
those discussions, egg shells are porous to air. They come out of the
hen with a coating which helps keep them sealed. Even without this
mucous covering they will keep a surprisingly long time. There are
tricks which can be used to extend egg storage life by sealing them
in wax or keeping them in isinglass.

egg-storage-msg   (17K)  9/10/04    Period and modern raw egg storage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/egg-storage-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas