[Sca-cooks] [OT] Dog biscuit recipe?

Irmgart irmgart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:27:50 PST 2005

Please don't include garlic! From the ASPCA website:

OCTOBER - Onions, Garlic, Chives
Did You Know… Onions, garlic, chives and other species of the plant genus
Allium can be potentially toxic to pets?

Allium species contain sulfur compounds known as disulfildes, which if
ingested in large quantities can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could
even result in damage to red blood cells.  While cats are more sensitive to
disulfides, dogs and other species of animals are also susceptible to Allium
poisoning if enough plant material is consumed.  Therefore, the ASPCA Animal
Poison Control Center advises companion animal owners to avoid feeding pets
onions, garlic and other Allium plants.

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous
substance, before attempting any decontamination contact your local
veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435)
immediately for assistance. To learn how to "Make Your Pet's Home Poison
Safe" visit us at www.aspca.org/apcc.
-Irmgart