[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 6 10:13:08 PST 2005

Exploring our links to period ancestry, Maire stated:
>--Maire, Artemisian descended from a long, long line of Yankies so old it's
>almost period....who is now craving Red Flannel Hash.  And maple syrup,
>although not on top of the hash. ;o)

Capt. Elias then gave us part of his pedigree:
>I am also descended from a line of Yankees almost period...
>The Gedneys came to Salem in 1640...
>(We hung witches and everything! We were so fashionable! :-p )

Me too. I am the 13th generation of Seelye (or one of many variants in
spelling) in North America. Capt. Robert Seeley (1602 - 1666) - Came to
America 1630 - died on Long Island 10/19/1666.  My dad was named Robert
Seelye as well.  (Oh, no - watch out, we're almost talking SCA time-period
here - things really do always come back around to that, don't they?)

I called Spoon-Tease and asked:
>>Ok, I think I have to ask now - recipe for Red Flannel Hash, please?

and was given:
>here's our recipe (amounts are approximate I dont generally measure this)
>1 c. cooked corned beef, cubed (large), and then lightly shredded with a
fork -
>You can get unsliced "ends" from the deli. One of these should be enough,
two is plenty)
>1 c. (or so) chopped boiled yukon gold potatoes
>1 c. boiled & chopped beets

<snip - hold it right there>

Sounds good, although now that I know the Red part comes from beets, I'm not
nearly as enthused :p.  (I have learned through medieval cooking research
that I actually like beet greens very much, but still don't care for beet
root.  Blech.)   The remaining ingredients and recipe are good though, and
very close to what I've done when I've made my own, just never had a recipe,
so thank you, from a yankee daughter.

Christianna
who for a while was a "Damn Yankee", being a Northerner come to live in the
South, but have been told by my friends that I have become a "naturalized"
Southerner  :)