[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 6 14:41:42 PST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

>  And while I usually hate the standard "Manhattan" chowder, that's
> because it's so often made badly, and, Heaven help us, is largely
> maligned because it's easier to make _and put in cans_ than the
> alleged New England variety.

Sorry, upon review I realized my error: it's _harder_ to put in cans,
industrially, successfully. IOW, most of the bad rap that it gets is
largely the result of either A) putting it in cans so the tomato
acids can make it taste like aluminum, and B) an assumption that if
it contains tomatoes, it also needs things like oregano and garlic.

A.

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04