[Sca-cooks] marzipan advice

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:49:42 PST 2005

How much time do you have and what is the budget?
How big is the sotletie that you are making?

I like to use commercial almond paste in the big 7 or 8 pound cans.
Do you have a restaurant supply store that carries it in bulk?
One then adds powdered sugar (with rosewater) to create  the marzipan
that one
uses for the sotletie.
Almond paste freezes, so the raw stuff can be kept for quite some time.
You can place items in the fridge. Cover well with foodwrap or place in
plastic
bags to keep it from drying out.
The alternative of course is sugarpaste or a mixture of sugarpaste and
marzipan.
There's lots of materials in the florilegium about marzipan. Check for
articles
by Olwen the Odd.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae