[Sca-cooks] Yankees, Hash, and Beets, was and still is: Winter comfort food...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 6 17:02:52 PST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> Tomato may not be a quintessential ingredient of a New England
> chowder, but neither is it a latter-day foreign interloper.
> Likewise, potatoes and milk are common ingredients, but are not
> required in a traditional chowder.

 From what I've seen, the basic "original" formula involves salt
pork, onions, seafood (various), crushed biscuit and water or other
liquid, generally layered in a large pot somewhat like an Irish stew.
Additions are probably the result of whatever one is more likely to
find in a given region's kitchen, and my suspicion is that good
tomatoes (or even tomato products) were probably more common in Rhode
Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts kitchens than in Maine ones.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04