[Sca-cooks] Observation on Leavenings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 7 20:16:54 PST 2005

You are probably seeing the difference between a normal starter and a fresh
active yeast.  It is fairly common to use coolers to slow the rise of yeast
breads, while allowing sourdoughs to rise at room temperature, because of
the difference in the activity.

The common view (to which I subscribe) is Northern Europe tended to use
yeast in the form of ale barm while the area around the Mediterranean where
wine was the common beverage used sourdough.  Note that the use of yeast or
starter is not geographically exclusive, but a tendency reinforced by
climate.  Ale doesn't do well in warmer climes.

The Egyptians are the first people known to make leavened bread and from the
little we know, it was sourdough.  Dupaigne disagrees, stating that the
Egyptians used ale barm, but doesn't provide any evidence to support the
claim.  It is possible that the Egyptians used both methods of leavening

There are Roman recipes which use fermented grape must as leavening.  To my
knowledge, the earliest record of ale barm being used to leaven bread is a
description in Pliny about the Vandals method of making bread.  Yeast breads
were probably being prepared by Gallic bakers in Italy by the time of
Pliny's death in 71 CE (based on some of the finds from Pompeii, and
information from David and Toussaint-Samat).

The period English bread recipes use ale barm, which appears to have been
the favored method into the 19th Century.  Platina, on the otherhand,
describes bread made from a dough starter.  Dupaigne states that during the
Middle Ages, natural starters were the standard in France until the 17th
Century, when a mix of yeast and starter came into use.  From other sources,
I gather that starter was required by law in France until the developement
of the baguette (which requires a very active yeast).  Again Dupaigne
provides little documentation and I have yet to find when the French limited
breadmaking to natural starter.  The evidence suggests that ale drinking
regions used ale barm and wine drinking regions used starters.  I still
don't have a copy of that French text on Baking and Bakers in the Middle
Ages (IIRC), so my answers may lie there.

Bear