[Sca-cooks] marzipan advice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 00:12:13 PST 2005

Elisabetta asked:

Is it cheaper to make marizipan and how do you do it? Can you buy
commercial
marizpan at bulk? Is there something else I can substitute for marizpan
that is period (sigh, no chocolate clay)?
<<<

It is cheaper to make it than to buy the  little sausage tubes of
marzipan that you find in your local grocery, but Olwen the Odd, the
Marzipan Goddess, has mentioned that she bought large cans of the
stuff, which was complete except for needing the sugar to be added.

You can find some comments about marzipan sources and making it,
including Olwen's comments in this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of
the Florilegium. I believe this file also has info on how-to and how
long you can store marzipan.
marzipan-msg      (85K)  6/18/04    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in
sotelties.

Marzipan is period. You can find the references and info on this in
this file as well. Or do you mean you would like to find a substitute
for marzipan which is period? I believe I mentioned some things such
as sugar icing and sugar paste and plate, and gave the files for them
in another message.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas