[Sca-cooks] For the Chowderheads

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 8 10:08:53 PST 2005

> Excuse the delay. I had one of those headaches yesterday that
> claimed the day.

If it's a migraine, I recommend a bit of good chocolate. Margali says it helps
hers- I dunno, not having them, but I am of the firm opinion that while a bit
of good chocolate doesn't necessarily help anything, it certainly doesn't hurt ;-)

> <>So for Chowders, Phlip asked about OED—this is what it says in
> part-- <> “chowder. [App. of French origin, from chaudière pot. In
> the fishing villages of Brittany (according to a writer in N. & Q. 4
> Ser. VII. 85) faire la chaudière means to supply a cauldron in which
> is cooked a mess of fish and biscuit with some savoury condiments, a
> hodge-podge contributed by the fishermen themselves, each of whom in
> return receives his share of the prepared dish. The Breton fishermen
> probably carried the custom to Newfoundland, long famous for its
> chowder, whence it has spread to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and New
> England.

OK, this makes sense. "Chaud", in French, being "hot", the pot itself is being
called a "heater/heating (pot)", which became specialized for that sort of
fish stew.

> 1. a. In Newfoundland, New England, etc.: A dish made of fresh fish
>
> (esp. cod) or clams, stewed with slices of pork or bacon, onions,
>  and biscuit. `Cider and champagne are sometimes added' (Bartlett).
> 1751 Boston Even. Post 23 Sept., Directions for making a chouder.

Rather like adding a bit of wine to chili or spaghetti sauce, I think.

> Mark Morton in Cupboard Love traces chowder back to the Latin
> calidarium which became cauderon in French eventually becoming
> cauldron. Calidarium in plural is calidaria becoming chaudiere and
> faire la chaudiere in French. This became “to make the kettle” or a
> communal fish soup shared by fishing crews.

Rather makes sense, since "calidus" means "hot" or "warm". I had thought,
though, that a "calidarium" was the hot bath in the Roman style of baths. But,
to "make the hot pot or kettle" would make sense.

<Much good stuff snipped>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Johnnae

As ever, Johnnae, your research is awesome. Or perhaps, I should call it
"awe-full and artificial" a la Henry the VIII or so?

;-)

Phlip