[Sca-cooks] Apicius' polenta recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 10 00:36:23 PST 2005

Bear replied to me with:
> You already have it in the Florilegium.  I posted it almost 8 years
> ago
> during a discussion we were having.  Just to refresh the list, here
> are the recipes:

Thank you. Otherwise these, like others, would have gotten put in the
polenta file again.
> Fried Creamed Wheat
>
> (Apicius 301, as taken from Giacosa, A Taste of Ancient Rome)
>
>  Aliter dulcia:  Accipies similam, coques in aqua calida ita ut
> durissimam
> pultem facias, deinde in patellam expandis.  Cum refrixerit, concidis
> quasi dulcia et frigis in oleo optimo.  Levas, perfundis mel, piper
> aspergis et inferes.  Melius feceris, si lac pro aqua miseris.
>
> Another sweet dish:  Take flour, cook in hot water so that it becomes
> a very firm polenta, then spread it on a plate.  When it has
> cooled, cut it
> as for sweet cakes and fry in oil of the finest quality.  Remove,
> pour honey
> over, sprinkle with pepper and serve.  You will do even better if
> you use milk
> instead of flour.

However, can someone check this translation? Is that really supposed
to be "if you use milk instead of flour"? I suspect this is supposed
to say "water" rather than "flour".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas